Re: Stone bruises & hoof hardeners

Hi, Angie--

I think you are right to be using a drying agent on the so-called "white line"
disease.  Formaldehyde certainly is one.  Another one is 7% strong tincture of
iodine.  (I would wonder about the glycerine, as it tends to keep things
moist--also, would wonder if perhaps you were using a tamed iodine solution
like Betadine or something, which does not have the drying action of strong
tincture of iodine.)  Coppertox is also useful.  (Incidentally, all of these
make good sole tougheners.)

Another real favorite of mine for invasive sorts of things with cracks and
crevasses in the hoof (including "white line" disease, advanced thrush, and
sole punctures or abcesses that are past the "acute" draining stage) is a
combination of iodine crystals and turpentine.  (You can usually get the
iodine crystals at a farrier supply.)  First you pack the affected area with
iodine crystals.  Then you pour the turpentine on.  This process generates a
lot of heat and a thick cloud of purple smoke that is very irritating and
toxic to breathe, so DON'T BREATHE THE FUMES!  I also take the precaution of
wrapping a towel around the coronet band, so that you do not have any of the
resulting mixture run down the hoof wall and burn the coronet band.  I also
advise wearing gloves.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)