Re: rider exercises

>We concentrate on conditioning our horses, but what are the most
>successful
>exercises for the human part of the team?  I have no problem
>conditioning
>Felix, but can't seem to get off my tush when it's for me.  There have
>been
>many comments about the ill effects a tired rider has on the
>performance of
>the horse, but what do y'all do to prepare yourselves?
>
>As a note, I have a physical disability that prohibits running/jogging
>or
>any product thereof.  Please tell me that something else works.
>
>Thanks in advance for all the advice that I'm hope this will generate.
>Vicki Wheeler & Felix (since it's raining, we don't have to ride...do
>we?)
>
>Vicki,  though I'm certainly not a big deal in the 100 mile arena, maybe
I'm closer to your level and can help.  I recently completed my first 100
and felt GREAT!

I can't jog either, (torn ACL in right knee from a horse rearing over
backwards on it back in '79)  The best thing I have found is riding a
Schwinn Airdyne exercise bike.  I am specific about this, because it's
the only exercise bike that I have ever felt was worth a hill of beans.
I rode 5 miles, hard, five-7 days a week, building up to an occasional 10
mile ride.  I found it much more strenuous than going riding on my
mountain bike, since you never coast.  Around my part of the country
(North Georgia) with all the hills, you can't help but spend a lot of
time coasting.  By holding the handles palm up, I was even able to build
up a little more upper arm, "Whoa Kazoos, don't use it all up on the
first loop" muscles.  By raising or lowering the seat, you can work
different muscle groups in your legs.  Also, my doctor said riding an Air
dyne backwards was the best therapy for my knee.

I was also walking 3 miles, 4 to 5 days a week, but didn't feel that
helped all that much.

Maybe this will help,
Angie Mc ghee and Kazoos, "What do you mean muscle weighs more than fat?"