long backs & arabs...questions

Happy 98 to all!

1.  What is the definition of a "long backed" horse?  Does anyone have
specific measurements for me?    Don't the different breeds have a
different number of ribs and vertibrates?  What is considered long
backed for an arab?

2.  Are arabs being bred for a longer back for the dressage ring?  If
so, why?  Is this just a U.S.A. thing?

  These conversations have all come up and started my wheels spinning.
Especially when it comes to long backs, arabs, long distances, massage
and chiropractic adjustments...

PLEASE  cc: me if sending back to the list since I'm in the digests.

Thanks!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab..."you're gonna do what to me tomorrow!")
Pt.Reyes, CA