Re: Leasing mares

In a message dated 12/27/98 0:39:04 AM EST, HoofnFins@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Does anyone know, generally, what the terms are when leasing a mare with
the
 purpose of breeding?  Since, I have Arabian geldings, would like to consider
 the option of leasing a mare to breed for an endurance prospect.  Haven't a
 clue about what the "lease" entails.  Anyone have experience?

I have leased several of my horses out for different reasons over the years.
You can lease any way that both leasee and owner agree.  Sometimes it's a
"free lease" where the leasee only pays for normal upkeep, sometimes there is
a lease fee involved, it is just a matter of agreeing to what each person
needs and wants from the lease.  The main thing is to cover all things that
can go wrong.  Play "devil's advocate" with each other and have it all written
down clearly.  Even specify what kinds of feed and hay are allowed, etc.  Be
very careful and thorough.
leigh