Recommendations/Accommodations for traveling from Chicago to Death Valley

Hello Ridecamp:

I just found out yesterday from my boss that I will not be allowed to roll
my eight remaining vacation days into 1999.  So, I have had the crazy
thought to pick up and drive from Chicago to California for the Death
Valley Encounter!!

I just bought a truck (F150 V8) in late November and my trailer hunt (2
horse bumper pull) will be over by the week's end.  I could leave by Monday
or Tuesday, to allow plenty of time to get there (time for any weather
issues, etc.) and get my mare settled by race day, 12/28.

For anyone who has traveled cross country, are there better routes to take
(less time, less mountains, etc.) to get to that area?   I could use any
advice you have.  Also, do you have any recommendations for places to stop,
stay overnight, etc.?
While I still haven't established which way to go, any ridecampers out
there who might be willing to host Pye and I for the night, please let me
know.  I'd greatly appreciate it.

I know I'm asking a lot, and trying to get a lot organized in a short
period of time, but I just hate to "waste" vacation at home, when I could
be out riding with my mare.  (Don't worry, no hubby or family at home that
being deserted!)

Thanks for any and all advice, suggestions, etc.  Wish me luck!  We'll see
if I can pull this off!

Alisa Waxman and AKB Pyewacket