Re: Dubai ride times

Farafix@aol.com wrote:

> Clarification/correction!!
> I had a previous ridecamp posting where I passed on info I got from the USET
> website that Val's ride time was 17 hrs.  The smartvision site gives the ride
> time as 9 hours: the arrival time was 17 hours; apparently military time of
> arrival.  I re-checked the USET site assuming I had mis-read it, but it says
> the ride time was 17 hours.  If the riders left at 5:45 am & had 2 1/2 hours
> of pit stops, a military arrival time of 17:15 would be about 5:15 pm, leaving
> a ride time of about 9 hours & something.  I should probably stop trying to
> figure out ride times!!  Have I got everyone totally confused now!!!

I was just looking at the Smartvision site (http://www.smartvision.ch/uae) and
was astonished to see Valarie Kanavy's average speed given as 17.7 mph!  It
took me over a half an hour to realize that it must be 17.7 *kilometers* per
hour!  Now that sounds more realistic.

Evidently out of 176 starters, there were 78 completions.

Canadian folks, don't despair.  It looks like at least one Canadian
rider finished:  Christine Janzen and Tais finished 9th in 10 hours
and 16 minutes!

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA