Article about D. Kanavy

Short stay in the saddle (reprinted from Khaleej on-line e-news.
By Our Sports Reporter
DEFENDING champion, Danielle Kanavy had a shorter than expected stay in the
saddle yesterday morning after her horse, Peirez, had a trip two miles off the
first veterinary gate.

The tumble caused by something yet unknown hurt the left foot of the champion
horse and left his 27-year-old rider almost in tears.

Yet, the gutsy American still saw a bit of silver lining in the dark cloud of
disappointment. "It's good we knew about it now than later so that he did not
have to suffer," said Danielle, riding her second race in the UAE.

"Yes, I'm disappointed but that life," said Danielle, who was consoled by her
team-mates and colleagues. She naturally had more concern for the 16-year-old
gey Arab gelding who taken both her and her mother to the World Endurance
Championships in 1994 and 1996 and was aiming for an unprecedented hat-trick
here.

"Our concern is mainly for Peirez because you have to care for your horses,"
said the part-time emergency room and an ICU nurse. "He'll probably feel
better tomorrow but that's his last race as we are retiring him now," added
Danielle, who became the youngest world champion at 25 years, defeating her
mum, Valerie, in the process in Kansas.

Danielle, who has associated degrees in culinary art and nursing, said the
contrast in conditions here with those back home made the race boring "The
route here is boring as there are not even trees. Horses also like a change
like trails etc which gives them a change during the ride," explained
Danielle. Germany's experienced Alexander Stadler was also another fancied
name to drop out early. The German rider, who has won several international
medals, saw his chances of a first world championship sink in the soft sands
in Sayh Al Salam during the second loop. "I am upset about this setback but
since Briesma Warrior was not my own horse, the disappointment is less," said
Stadler.

He was scheduled to ride Al Hayar but the horse developed a cold after
arriving in the UAE, probably due to the air conditioner, said a stable
assistant. "If I was riding Al Hayar I could have finished among the top 10
since I know the horse so well," added Stadler.