Nina Warren's comments/Jedi

Hey all,

As long as we're getting down to Jedi's distant cousins, I'll give you a
taste of my interview with Nina Warren (Jedi's former owner) for
Trailblazer.  I'd better save most of it for the magazine, but here's a
few tid bits.

I asked her if he's a horse "who is a little lazy".  The answer was an
immediate "No".  He's always up to go and does best outside the pack so
he'll settle.  That means well in front, or off the pace.  I knew she
usually cantered with Desert Ballad since he preferred the canter.  What
about Jedi?  "Trot, he had a big trot when he settled into it".

Does he eat well when he travels?  "YES"  Sounded like this might be one
of his strongpoints which should have helped on the international travel.
 She said he eats better than Desert Ballad or Amir Nezraff (her hall of
fame horse).  That she sometimes had to clean out the back of the trailer
a little before she could even unload him.  All systems functioning well.
 Pitty the horses who share a crate with him.

She hadn't heard the rumor that he'd suffered a mild tie-up last week.
She said he had one year a few years back when that was a problem, but it
had seemed to be licked.

What she wanted to emphasize was this.  She entered him in 7 100's.  He
won 5 and pulled in two.  (One a very hot humid Biltmore, another nasty
cut on the coronary in Canada).  BUT, that if she had kept him she'd
probaby still be winning races in Mississippi, but not the UAE.  She is
thrilled with what the Kanaveys have done with him.  She thinks they're
great.  Every detail of her experience with selling to them was positive.
 When they bought him Larry voluntarily stated, "He won't be sold".  She
didn't add that clause.

Nina is currently concentrating on dressage competitions.  She has a mare
(you mare/heredity people will love this) who is a close reletive to Amir
Nezraff...she breeds her to TB's and "Sellefrance" warmbloods.  Her 6 yr.
old son was top 10 2nd level dressage at the Arabian Nationals this year,
his 5 yr. old brother was Reserve Champion 1st level, and she has a 4yr.
old, 3 yr. old, and then a 2 year old (mare with an attitude that may end
up in endurance:-)

She hasn't heard any more details than we have on the placings.  Has
tried to call the hotel with no luck.

By the way, she said Jedi has a bad habit of looking wonderful on the
trail, then just drooping & dragging for trot-outs.  A real bummer in BC
judging.

Wait till you hear what she used for his habit of interfering in the
back...you won't believe it.  First totally new idea I've heard in a LONG
time.  Think I'll see if Trail Blazer wants dibs on it first. :-)

Angie

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]