Saddles - Apples vs Oranges

    We need a uniform set of standards to measure saddles.  Trying to compare apples and oranges is impossible. The Germans measure between the points, but that is dependent on the length of the points. The English take what ever comes off a hundred year old jig and call that a measurment.  Saare uses her own standard of measurment. The Western treemakers make what ever bar they want and call it a "3/4 Arab" or a "full quarter horse". The problemis  there is no standard that anyone is working from. So there is not even any quality control. Some people  use a piece of baling wire and call that measurment. The problem is
measurement by definition requires a "unit" of measurment. Baling wire ain't got no unit of measurment  It is insane.

    It is time that the Saddle Industry submit to a voluntrary product standard under the coordination of the National Institute of Standards and Technology. http://ts.nist.gov Fit Happens with Measurment. I recommend you look at http://www.saddletech.com/big.htm for a possible solution

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:24:27 -0800
From: bill barker <bcbarker@earthlink.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Sharon Saare Trees vs. Stubben Trees

We have two horses that fit a Sharon Saare size B tree.  Now my husband
wants to get a Stubben (the Saare is my saddle) and we are trying to
determine what size tree they need.  He has a Stubben Survival 19" on
trial, with a 31.5 tree and when he sits it on the horse, it has a 2"
drop between the pommel and cantle, instead of the recommended 1" drop.
Does anyone know the correlation between the two sizes of trees?

Thanks,
Carol Barker
Central Region
begin:vcard