re:newbie

hello, my name is rick. i have been interested in endurance riding for a few
years now. we have warmbloods and thoroughbreds which i thought wouldn't make
a good endurance animal. so i bought me a young belgian  mule. he is only 19
months old and not anywhere close to being ridien for at least another 6
months. but i am really looking forward to bonding and working with him. it
seems the comraderie, did i spell that right, is pretty close in  the
endurance circuit. im looking forward to being a part of that. any advice on
training, etc., would be greatly appreciated. rick