re: Tying up

Hello Robert,  I was so sorry to read that you had a horse die from
tying-up.  You asked for comments from others on the condition.  My
experience with "tying-up" is limited to one mare. She was a very fit,
musclular mare in track race-training.  She raced for 3 years, and for 1of
those years tying-up was a recurrent problem.  Our track-trainer became
well-versed in managing the mare's problem and reading her for pre-tying
signs.  There are a number of causes: some involve, not adjusting
feed-amount according to workload; nervousness; dietary deficiency; a day of
no-work after a rigorous training schedule, etc.
With some mares, the heat cycle is thought to play a part.  Heavily-muscled
horses are thought to be more prone.  We began by having blood-testing done.
Treatment included Selenium and vitamin E supplement, vitamin B-complex,
adjusting feed down on light work days, some exercize every single day,
changing to a new handler who the mare seemed more relaxed with, monitoring
her heat cycle, watching for even a hint of muscle-soreness or cramps, et.
al.  She also seemed more prone to tye-up in hot weather; so special
attention was paid then.   Some animals reportedly are more prone in the
cold, damp weather.
The book "How to be Your Own Veterinarian(sometimes)" stresses the
following---------"Tying up can occur in horses who are used  extremely
hard, such as on endurance rides. Many of these horses are in severe pain
and may act  as if they have a colic.  An attempt to walk the horse with a
myositis can result in permanent damage. Until proven otherwise, assume that
the horse has a muscular problem and rest him until he has been examined by
a vet.  Colics are much less common in this situation.  When in doubt, do
NOT walk an endurance horse that is in distress." ....OK!!
kathleen

Kathleen Weickhardt and Larry L. Stewart
Sunnyland Racing Arabians
ATHLETES for TRACK, TRAIL and ARENA
870.591.6212
http://www.sunnylandarabians.com