Second Sweats

From: Barb Peck
Email: bpeck@together.net

I too have seen these relatively small patches of sweat on my horses
a few hours after most of their coats have dried. My observations:

In late fall when it's too cold to hose them off after riding, they
may have a small patch of sweat some  where,
after they've completely dried. Their coats are pretty heavy by this time of year.
If I hose them off after riding, this does not occur.  And I've hosed as late as November, with the temp. in the 40's.
As far as an indicator of tying Up?
I don't think so.  I've had both my horses blood tested to rule this out when I saw these little patches..... and their blood said they were  fine.
The reason I *did* blood tests was that I had never seen these sweaty patches on any of my past horses, and I was concerned about these 2 (big muscled).
 I've decided it has something to do with DRYING a heavy coat in cool weather.
It's not really a second sweat anyway.
It's not that the hair dries, and then becomes sweaty again.
It's just that it takes longer for these small patches to dry. Why? I dunno?
Barb