maiden mares?

Hey y'all,

Any comments on the quality of foals from a maiden mare?  I've heard
everything from "they're throwaways" to "there's no difference".  I
would imagine reality is somewhere in the middle, especially if you
closely watched the mare to make sure she was letting the baby eat and
nurse and so on---but I sure would like to hear comments and experiences
from everyone else, especially the breeders that have been there and the
vets that GOT 'em there! (hint, hint, Drs. Smith, Ralston and
Dowling)<g>

Thanks for the input,

Susan G