Re: Dubai , December 8

Tom

Down here on the sand bar called Florida we routinely train in the sand.
What is describes below - over 40 jump in heart rate - is pretty common when
you first start training in the sand.  As the horse gets more conditioning
in the sand the jump is less dramatic, but there is still a linear
relationship between heart rate and work required to move through the sand.
Actually the 40 bpm here is a direct measure of the energy absorbed by the
sand.   As you point out there is also a linear relationship between the
heart rate and the heat generated.

On thing I have found to be interesting is some trot better in the sand and
some horses canter better in the sand.  That is the heart rate jump is less
dramatic for a trot on one hores than it is on a canter and for the next
horse the opposite may be true.

Anyway it is a fact of life and being it will be hot to start with great
care will be necessary.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm with one on the way
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.