Around the Mountain, Deming NM (long)

Hi Group!

Well I just got back from Dr. Barney Fleming, D.V.M.'s 2 day 60 mile ride.
 I did the first day of the 60.  Before I get into how great my horse Blue
did <vbg> I must tell you what a super job Barney and his wife Linda did
for their first time as ride managers.  The thing I was impressed with was
how Barney handled the vet checks.  First off we did not have to worry
about carrying a vet card, instead when we checked in and P&R'd we gave our
name, no butt numbers (YEAH, what a novel idea that we could use our own
names!!!) and then we were issued a white card that the vet filled out and
held on to.  Onto the next vc, same deal.  I really liked this because when
D.I.M.R. sets in, (plus the fact that I have blonde moments on top of that)
we don't have to worry about finding our card or keeping it dry.  The next
thing that Barney improved on was the start time between the 60's and the
30's was 2 hours apart, so no bottle necks and no waiting in line what so
ever.  All in all this was a very organized ride.  Thanks Barney we riders
really appreciated the effort! The trail was well marked and as usual the
New Mexico people were a fun bunch of people to ride with.  Also, I don't
know what it is but I seem to like the rides that Barney is Head Vet at the
most anyway:} he does such a good job vetting and he is always willing to
take the time to talk to you about your horse and give any advice needed.
 Thanks Barney! The awards banquet was a blast too!  Since the N.M. people
don't all pack up and leave before the dinner there is usually a good turn
and fun to be had.  The awards were very nice and there was a raffle with
lots of neat stuff to win also.  Everyone was enjoying themselves so much
none of us seemed to notice that fact that we were all freezing to death
with the wind gusting and temps dropping.

The first day of the 60 I believe 48 riders started at 6:30 am.  Blue was
feeling pretty good, he seems to have gotten over his troubles with long
trailer rides and stayed on his feed pretty much.  The weather was sunny
and about 60* in the middle of the day so it was great riding weather.  I
got to the first vc at 25 miles around 10:30 am and vetted through o.k. the
rider I was riding with pulled so we had to go on to the next vc at 45
miles alone.  This is where I wished I had NEVER DONE AN LD ON BLUE EVER
because he thought he was done, I know he wasn't tired from the way he
roared into the first vc but I could barely get him to go, sulk, sulk,
sulk!!!  Thank goodness that about 10 miles out two riders caught up to me
and he woke up and realized he was still competing:}  Into the 45 mile vc,
his gut sounds were low c's but they hadn't dropped any lower then the
first vc and he ate for the whole hour hold too, so they let me go and
finish.  We completed in 9 hours on a flat course and Blue vetted out at
the finish with higher scores then he had at the vet checks during the
ride.  I think he is finally figuring things out, now if I can get him past
the fact that we aren't done at 25 miles we'll be o.k.  We finished
somewhere towards the back of the pack where I wanted to be and he
recovered pretty darn good too.  He never stocked up this time and the 7
hour ride home didn't seem to phase him either.

Things I learned, I think I'll start riding Blue in a bit to the first vc
and then change back to his vosal after the vet check. This is due to the
fact that from doing ld's he wants to pace himself faster then I want him
to go on a 50+ ride.  I ended up hauling on the reins too much and wasn't
capable of keeping him at a the 6 mph I wanted him to be at.  Next, I think
I will start leaving after the pack so I can ride my own ride instead of
getting sucked into the pack's ride. I am actually thinking on not doing
anymore l.d.'s ever not even on Kodi and I'll just condition for 50's from
now on and when we start competition again on Kodi do the 50's reallllllly
slow.  I found that I didn't get as tired either and I think it was due to
the fact that for the last 35 miles I had Blue at a nice consistent 6 mph
and it was easier on both our bodies.  I ate and drank more on this ride
too which may of been why I never hit a wall myself.

Guys and girls,  if you ever get a chance to do a New Mexico ride or one
that Dr Barney Fleming is vetting or R.M.ing go for it, you won't be
disappointed the scenery is beautiful and the people are really nice.  But
the downfall is that now I want to move to New Mexico but John says no:{
  I guess it is important that one of us works a real job and his job is in
Phx area, darn!!!!!!

Next year we are doing both days of Around the Mountain!

                                  Cheryl Newbanks
~~~           ~~ ^ ^        SW Region
~~~\      _ ~~/ /\ /        Buckeye, AZ
       (   ) __    ) ' '        horsetrails@inficad.com