From: Steph Teeter [mailto:step@fsr.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 1998 8:01 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Dubai update

Hi guys,

Not a lot of news to report yet... tomorrow there is a
chance to see the course -  but there are a limited
number of 4WD vehicles, so only one person from each
Federation will be allowed to go. This has quite a few
folks upset, but communications are so poor that there
seems to be very little opportunity for the Federations
to voice their opinion. It is such a large production...
so many countries, that there seems to be a large
void concerning information dissemination. There is
no printed schedule per se, just a few notices posted
at the hotels and the OC center ... Seems to be a
fair amount of tension and frustration.

I walked out to the gate/entrance to the training trails
yesterday evening to wait for the Belgian riders to
return from their training ride. An Aussie fellow was the gate-keeper,
keeping track of each rider that left, and making sure their
return was noted. Very strict control. Gates are locked at
6pm, and riders better make sure they return by then
or they have to find another way into the complex. The
sun was a huge dull red ball, slipping behind a row of
date palms, as we watched some of the last riders return.
I made the mistake of wearing shorts, and as the lorries
of workers (mostly Pakistani) drove home on the road
past the gates, I was treated to leering grins and hoots.
Being rather slow... it took me a while to realize that it
was the bare legs that were causing such a raucus!

I went into Dubai today with Susie Morril (grooming for
Hanne Hollander) and two others from the Danish contingent.
We had a blast! Visited the Gold Souk - the old gold market
secion of Dubai - lots of tiny shops crammed into alleys,
the smell of incense, windows filled with gold jewelry, imports,
bags of spices and dried fruits. The 'Creek' which runs
through the city was lined with colorful dhows, fishing boats,
bustling with activity.

I wish I had more horse/race news to report, but I just don't
know much. Tonight there is a welcome party for all so I
should be able to at least catch up on the gossip.

later,

Steph Teeter