Re: GPS to calculate mileage

Yes and no. I don't believe the biggest problem with altitude is WGS84 datum
to local reference datum but the same thing that affects all measurements -
selective availability (the fudge factor the military throws in the time
data to deliberately make it inaccurate). The second major problem is
satellite geometry and resulting signal strength (the best geometry for
altitude involves 3 of the satellites being on the horizon which is not the
case for horizontal - satellites on the horizon have poor signal strength
assuming they are not block entirely). In any case, within the geographical
confines of a endurance race, the difference between geoid and reference
altitude will be very vary within a very small number. Most units also have
at least horizontal conversions from one datum to another built in - I have
never questioned whether the vertical datums are built in (450 feet in error
vertically to me is a lot more critical than 300 feet horizontally, so I
don't rely on the altitude which I would use only as means of finding
horizontal location from topos anyway).

But this whole discussion raises another question. How does AERC define
mileage - horizontially (which is what you get from a map if you do not do
some trig calculations involving altitude changes) or surface distance
covered as would be measure by a wheel?

Sampling time can be altered on most units (certainly is on my Garmin GPS
12). However, if coverage is lost it may make some assumptions that may or
may not be valid. It assumes straight line motion for a period of time
before it quits tracking. If coverage is only partially lost (4 satellites
are required, but if 3 are available) the unit assumes the previous altitude
and makes horizontal calculations under that assumption). The downside of
frequent sampling is that if I am recording a track, the limited size of the
track file will make it impossible to record the whole track (although the
accumulated mileage will not be affected).

Slow movement has an effect on the mileage accumulation. Small distance
changes are recorded in the track log, but ignored in the mileage
accumulation totals on the units assumption that small changes are probably
an artifact of selective availability as opposed to real motion.

However, your conclusion about the accuracies of handheld units without DGPS
correction (which requires an additional piece of hard connected to your
GPS) is valid. Horizontal accuracy is generally +- 100 meters and vertical
+- 150 meters. DGPS correction (which for the most part corrects for SA)
would be +- 10 meters horizontally and +-15 meters vertically.

Of course if the ride is a few tenths short, you can always add a couple of
laps around the parking lot - the crowded conditions might make it
interesting.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net