Re: Maps and GPS

For a comparison of Fugawi and Ozi-explorer, see
http://joe.mehaffey.com/ozi-fug2.txt. This site has a reputation for being
unbiased and accurate. For USGS maps, Ozi appears to be far superior. For
marine charts, Fugawi is the only one. I have not used Fugawi, but the
thought of waiting 7 minutes to import a USGS file (along with the
differences) discouraged me - I bought Ozi. Only complaint I have is the
inability to control the portion of the map I wish to print (although map
scale is completely controllable). I either get the whole map or only the
portion on the screen. Program is updated frequently (updates can downloaded
free). For other information related to gps and maps, the base site
(http://joe.mehaffey.com/) has a huge amount of information - it is
basically the FAQ for sci.geo.satellite-nav.

The USGS distributes DRG's on Compact Disc-Recordable (CD-R). DRG orders are
filled on demand. There is a base charge of $45.00 per order, plus $3.50
shipping, plus $1.00 for each DRG quadrangle purchased. Sale of DRGs in
fixed 1-degree blocks was discontinued on October 1, 1998. The current
policy allows any combination of quadrangles to be ordered.

It is possible to order copies of the original 1 degree blocks (which
generally contained 64 7.5 min 1:24000 quads along with 1 1:100000 and 1
1:250000 maps) from other sources.
http://members.tripod.com/~Swiftcurrent/pnw_drg.html has Washington and
Oregon ($20 for a single CD block and $40 for a 2 CD block plus $4 shipping
for 4 CDs) and links to a couple of other swap sites and the free download
sites.

The DeLorme topos, emphasize low resolution (100 meter contours, scale
1:150000). I have a paper version for Washington and find it extremely
useful for backcountry access roads, useless for much else.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net