Limited Distance Program?

Hi All
I've been reading all the posts on the LD rides. So I would like to put in my
2 cents. Last spring I started to plan to do some endurance riding again after
a very long time. Found a wonderful six year old Arab mare. We started
training late in the spring. Didn't plan to be doing any 50's this year or
maybe not next year.(I believe in taking it very slow with a young horse)
Anyway a friend of mine told me about a ride real close to my place that had a
15 mile fun ride. (this is at the end of the summer). I took my young mare and
we had a great time riding this 15 miles. But most important we learned alot.
Camping out, getting checked by the vets, having alot of horses running by us
both ways. The next ride we went to was a 25 mile ride. We rode with a few
other horses the first loop but waited for everyone to leave after the vet
check. We rode the last loop all alone which I had planned to do. I learned so
many thinks about my horse on these training rides. We came in dead last (well
not really because they pulled about 10 horses),but we came in great shape and
had a great time.  I was very surprised to see 25 mile horses racing at these
rides. My point is I think these should be used for learning and conditioning.
I hope to do my first 50 at the end of next summer, but will be doing 25 miles
for learning and condition.
 Anyway just my 2 cents
Marsha
Deer Park , Wa