Re: Stringhalt ...??

Robert Quigley wrote:

> I have a friend that would like an answer to this question <SNIP>
 If so could you
> ask if anyone knows
> how a horse with stringhalt would fare on these rides in
> regard to judging.  <SNIP>
He is
> not lame, just has a different way of going.  So, if at the
> initial vet check
> this condition was declared and observed, would he be
> allowed to start and,
> given the condition doesn't change, finish the
> ride............. MA

The first magic question is: <will> the condition degenerate over the
miles.  Horses with a "odd" way of going often overuse other muscle
groups to compensate, resulting in cumulative stress.  I'd be concerned
over the long range ability of the horse to stay sound.  He may be
"sound" now, but what about after a season of long training rides (20+
miles) and competitions at speed?  I've seen horses with chronic rear
gait abberations end up with front shoulder injuries.

If the judge is lenient, it is a "small" ride, easy terrain, and the
horse is grade 1 (not consistently observable at a trot), he should
start.  If the terrain is challenging or you are riding in inaccessible
areas, or if it is grade 2 (slight but the gait abnormality is
consistently observed at a trot) they usually won't let you start at all
and may not let you continue from a check point.  Even if it is "his
usual way of going".  It is a tough call for the rider, but the vets are
concerned first with the horse's health and safety.

One vet explained to me that if the horse will warm up out of it, then
do that warm up before you present to him.  If the horse has a
consistently abberrant gait, it is a lameness and should be treated as
such.

Your friend may want to go to a ride that will refund her entry fee if
the horse doesn't pass vet in, just to see what will happen.  Let the
ride manager know ahead of time out of courtesy.  I've seen folks say
"It is his way of going" and the horse was chronically Gr 2 lame.  I've
seen others where the beat was slightly off when you listened because of
a clubbed foot, odd foot angle, one easy boot vs 3 shoes, etc.  Those
are another story.

Tell your friend good luck.  She'll never know unless she tries.  Maybe
a vet or expereinced endurance rider nearby can watch her horse trot in
person and give a more informed answer.

Linda Flemmer