Re: Limited Distance Program

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:43:48 -0800, "Marci Cunningham"
<mcunningham@calcot.com> wrote:

>I have agonized over hitting the send key for this message as I don't want to sound as if I am against change.  Change is fine but we need to be aware of the messages we are sending with whatever changes we make.

AMEN!  All too often when someone opposes some *particular* change,
those who favor the change accuse them of being reactionary, stuck in
the past, afraid of new things, etc.  Change is essential, nothing
stays the same in life ... but not all change is good.  A wise person
tries to anticipate the effects of a proposed change as thoroughly as
possible before making a decision.  Unintended consequences have a
nasty way of popping up!

There was a rather effective psychological ploy carried out at a Board
meeting several years ago.  Just before a controversial proposal was
about to be discussed, they passed out a flier listing the bad and
ignorant reasons people opposed change.  When anyone in the ensuing
discussion tried to present reasons the proposal might not be
beneficial, those pushing the proposal would nod knowingly to each
other or even make a comment of that being an example of "bad"
resistance to change.  An effective intimidation technique; the
proposal passed.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net