arthritis in competing horses

>Those of you who are competing on a horse with arthritis, what
>maintenance/preventative measures do you take to keep your
>horse sound and comfortable?
Hi Kris!!

I have an older guy  with  arthritis.  I ride him more frequently,
exercise him short distances if I can.  Even just handwalking.  I never
leave him stalled or tied for long.  this helps the joints keep moving.
When I do ride him longer distances, I make sure he's plenty warmed up
before we start trotting and warmed up in the trot before we canter.
I use Cosequin on him if I am going to be riding a lot, but don't use it
all the time.  And I realize that he will have good days and bad days and
I try to know if it's just a bad day and he may not warm up out of it.
So far, he's had one really bad day and it was cold and rainey that day.
But I know as he gets older the bad days will come more frequently. I know
some days I have way more trouble with my knees and ankles than other
days.

HOpe  this helps...It's my experiences only.  YMMV

Appy Trails

Samm--and the Appy gang