LD fees

I have been reading all the posts about these non-member fees and some
of these posts seem to get pretty heated and pretty emotional...
obviously everyone involved in this sport really cares about what
happens to it.  I find that reassuring because as yet, I am still a
"newbie".  I have paid my non-member fees to ride and it never occurred
to me to question why...I'm not a member yet and there are lots of
organizations where one pays a higher price for not being a
member....fair or not, I guess I have never thought one way or another
about it.  I paid $20 to enter my first 15 mile novice competitive ride
and gladly forked over another $40 to ride the following day in a 25
comp.  I later discovered the LD rides and though I have never asked
where what goes, I never questioned any additional fees.  The LD rides
are what ultimately hooked me on endurance though I imagine I will still
ride comp with my sister, my daughter and my husband as we condition our
horses for the tougher stuff...though my gelding lost all desire for
competitive after his first LD... he would much rather be allowed to GO
THE DISTANCE!  Anyway, I have no point and not really a point of view...
We do plan to join AERC as a family and the Sundowner discount is a
deciding factor.  From the standpoint of a newcomer, I was so hooked
after that first ride, the extra $10 would not have changed my mind.  I
rode a 50 also this year and paid my extra $10.  I understand that I can
buy back those miles if I join within a certain period of time or pay a
fee if I wait too long.  My checks will soon be on their way to AERC and
UMECRA and GLDRA... I feel that as an enthusiast of the sport, the best
way I can help and learn and grow with it is to become a dues paying
member (it is my choice).  My nephew who has been riding for about  3
years, belongs to nothing... he pays the extra.  That is his choice.
Unfortunately for him, he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does
about endurance and what a benefit it would be for him to be a "member"
of the community of friends that I have made in endurance... how much he
could learn and what a better rider/owner he would be!!!  I think 2
cents is still worth 2 cents in Michigan and I hope I don't get any
change back!!  :)  Hope to see ya all NEXT year!
Maggie, family and my guy, Jonathan