Paint and pinto coloring

CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> With the Paint registry, any non-APHA registered parent must be registered as
> either a QH or a TB, so essentially the Paints are QH's of color.  You also
> can register a crop-out QH with the APHA.  (Although as one participant in
> this discussion pointed out, you CAN register horses with no color who are
> otherwise eligible by pedigree as Breeding Stock.)  So yes, one would have to
> say that the APHA is as much a breed as many others...

Yes, but a foal that is solid and does not have the pinto coloring or
excessive white, can never produce a pinto or a paint. It can not throw
a gene that is does not have. The only way that a breeding stock
pinto/paint can have a pinto/paint foal is if it is breed to a
pinto/paint. The breeding stock part of the color registries is just
another way for the registry to make some extra money. So if you want to
look at genetics, breeding stock paints are not paints but QH's and
TB's. So I would think that the only quality that sets Paints apart from
QH's and TB's is the color, so wouldn't that make Paints a color breed?

There has been some RARE instances of two solid QH's throwing a paint
overo foal. And for a time it was thought that the overo gene was
recessive and did not show in the parents but showed in the foal. But
now it is believe that the overo gene is dominate and that at closer
study of the solid QH's that have thrown overo foals that one the the
QH's exhibited white spots or excessive white. Which shows the overo
gene.

Interesting, but not exactly endurance related.

Lynette
another nice day in NDak. Sunshine and in the 40's. I could live with
this kind of weather all winter long.