tripping

I used to have a horse that fell down on his knees (even at a walk
sometimes).  I sold him to a guy who just wanted a pleasure horse but he
ended up doing a zillion endurance miles on him.  Of course, he fell down
sometimes but that didn't seem to bother the new owner.  When I owned the
horse I had a shoer who, I believed, was doing a good job and he continued
to shoe this horse with the new owner for many years.  Gosh, it LOOKED like
a good shoeing job and the shoer sure sounded like he knew what he was
talking about!   A couple of years ago, a new shoer started doing this
horse, he let the horse grow more toe and a bigger foot and, guess what...
he still trips occassionally but he doesn't go down.

Beware of a shoer who, upon hearing that your horse is tripping, chops off
the toes and sets the shoe back.  This is like trying to walk on stiletto
heels (spike heels, guys) for the horse.  When they get too much forward
momentum, they have nothing to help support the forward motion and just go
over the front!  If your horse trips, he may have too little toe, not too
much.  Just stand way up on your tippy toes and try to trot and see what
kind of balance you have.

I'm glad you've figured out the problem and are letting your horses have a
more naturally balanced foot.  (Watch now, this will probably start Shoe
Wars (again).

ann who is definitely NOT a horse shoer