Re: Mares vs. Geldings

Actually if the animal trips I think it much better to let him sort out
his balance.  There is no way the rider can time a quick jerk and very
few humans have sufficient strength to make any difference.  Also if you
think you can stand in the stirrups while the horse goes down under you
and keep your balance, then you really have not been on a horse that has
seriously triped.

I've had a horse roll when she jumped a very small ditch and the bank
caved in under her feet.  She made a gallant effort to recover and would
have if the bank had not of collasped yet again.  I stayed with her till
the last minute and bailed the opposite way she was rolling.  I only
broke three ribs on that one.

More recently old Jordy and I were galloping along on a trail we have
ridden many times.  There was a root hiding under the six inches of
loose sand and he triped.  He went down and I pitched forward.  It was
the deceleration that caused me to pitch forward not his going down. He
recover and poped up, met my chin and put me out.  This all happened in
probably a half a second, too fast for any reaction on my part that
would have helped.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt