my horse has EPM

Hi all,
Just a note to thank everyone who wrote a response to my request for feedback on my 5-year-old gelding's stumbling and swaying problem under the weight of a rider.  I now know that I fell off and broke my collar bone because he lost balance with me.  I put him under a trainer while I healed.  She ground drove him for 3 weeks, and the first day she got on, he acted as if he was going to fall over at the walk.  His side-to-side motion is compromised.  We took an EPM test, and my worst nightmare has come true -- he has it.  We are starting treatment this week for a minimum of 4 months.  No riding or working for that long.  He is so special to me...it's the only decision I can make even though it is going to cost $1,200, which I don't have at the moment. I felt it important to let you all know that this disease is out there and becoming more prevalent -- even showing up in the southwest where I live, and we have the lowest incidence in the country.  Quick treatment is vital if you are to have success.  If something's not quite right with your horse, you know it, no matter how trivial it seems to someone else.  Check it out.  You'll feel better if you cover all your bases.  Our horses deserve it.  Mine is my best friend.  Thanks again to all.

Shannon Field
field@azstarnet.com
shannon.field@alliedsignal.com