Warm up time on training rides

Hello fellow ridecampers--

I have always been told, and followed the precept, of walking the horse for
the first mile to get the kinks out.  Until recently, it has really made
sense, but now I wonder if that applies to pastured horses as much as
stabled horses.

My place is divided into pastures of five or more acres, excluding the
corrals.  The boys are out there 7/24 and spend it playing, eating, eating,
sleeping, eating, playing, and on and on.  They are seen tearing around on a
regular basis, so I think they stay pretty limbered up.

However,  there are no trails from my home, so must travel on gravel roads
to get to the one grassy hill that would qualify as a trail --very short
trail.

Buddy is like molasses for the first quarter mile--hoping I'll change my
mind, I bet--and then he's all fire ready to go down the road.  What are
your thoughts on this?

Gay and little Buddy