Navicular info.(long) Help!

Hello, all.
    My 28-year old mare has just been diagnosed with navicular--we are
not
sure to what extent it has affected her feet at this time and we are
just beginning
to treat it.  The problem is, it came on very suddenly.  One day she was
trotting
around our property and in her paddock, and the next morning she was
lame.
She walks around, but is obviously very footsore.  We x-rayed to check
on
laminitis, and there was no evidence of it and no sign of rotation.  Two
weeks
later we did a follow-up set of x-rays and now feel confident that there
is no
laminitis.  Meanwhile, my farrier shod her as a navicular horse, to get
the pressure
off her soles and heels.  At this time we have her on the suggested meds
for navicular
problems--isoxsuprine and (at least for now) one gram of bute per day.
She seems
to be feeling more comfortable, but we know this is just the beginning.
     I would love to receive any information from my fellow Ridecampers
regarding
navicular disease, or any other conditions that test out similarly (with
the usual nerve
block), but prove to be something other than navicular.  I also wondered
about
alternatives to the nerve surgery, or how that particular surgery turned
out for
other horses (I consider that a last alternative, but it has been
mentioned to me.)
    Also, my vet has mentioned magnetic boots, as they seem to have
worked to
relieve some or most pain for some of his other client's horses.  Have
any of you
tried these?
    This horse is my best friend, and I have lived with her for 25
years.  I hate to
see her walking in pain.  I feel slightly uneasy with the diagnosis only
because
of the suddenness with which the symptoms set in.  I would appreciate
any
personal help I could get from any of you, while I continue to research
this
problem on my own.  I've been so impressed with the combined experiences

and knowledge I have seen, as well as the care you have always shown
each
other.  Please E-mail me either on Ridecamp or privately.  The
information
may well help others with this problem.  Thanks.

Linda Flynn,

w. Mecca's Ayhan

(Queen of Golden Saddle Lane)