Re: Old Horse

Hello!
     I have a 28-year old mare (she's been my pal for 25 years) and
I have been dealing with increasing age-related problems for some
time now.  Regarding the inability to chew her hay, I agree about
the feeding of alfalfa, as my girl is on alfalfa (leaf only--try to keep
out the stalk), in as large a portion as she can eat.  However, I have
found that alfalfa pellets are healthier and easier for her to chew, and
seem to be doing very well for her, rather than the cubes, which can
actually be a little tougher to eat and a little more difficult to digest..

     I have also found that her digestion improved dramatically when
given a version of "equidophilus"--I am now feeding her my company's
product--Anidophilus, which has worked even better.  She is on our
supplements, C, E/S, Yucca, DMG, as well as Strongid C2X daily
wormer, and I give her Manna Pro Senior Feed, and Bran.  Right now
her digestion (thank the Lord!) is better than it's been for years, and her

weight is perfect (this is also a miracle considering she had colic surgery

beginning of '97).
     The only problems she continues to have now are a newly discovered
arthritic condition (recently treated with a round of Adaquan, and
increased
doses of Yucca in her feed) and a navicular condition which is her present
difficulty.  We are going through the usual round of meds, to see if it
makes
her more comfortable--so far after a week, she seems happier and less sore,

but I am considering magnetic boots and would love some info. from anyone
with experience using them.  Corrective shoeing with  special 2-part
solution
pads should also make her more comfortable.
       But back to the nutrition question, when I first noticed her losing
weight,
while still living in CT, I became aware of her inability to properly chew
her hay,
and the way I began her recovery and weight gain was by using soaked beet
pulp
twice a day with senior feed mixed in.  The beet pulp at least got her
started and
the program she is on now is obviously a good one for her.
     Anyway, having become somewhat of a fanatic on the "care of the older
horse"
I thought I'd relate my experiences.  Hope some of it helps in some way.
Let me know if anyone has any input on those magnetic boots.  Thanks.
                                                             Linda Flynn,
Anico Vet. Products,
                                                              Ormond Bch.,
FL