Re: O'Leno ride, dehydration, easy boots

> > My horse did have a slight bit of dehydration however.  Seminole feed had
> > a scale set up so I weighed her
> > pre-ride/post-ride and she lost about 50 lbs.
>
> Well, if it was ALL water loss, that amounts to around 6 gallons.  (1 gallon
> = 8 lbs)

Oops, I failed to mention that she lost a point or two on her capillary
refill and skin pinch test. That's where I'm getting the slight
dehydration info from.

> I suspect that at least some of the weight loss was energy reserves rather
> than water.  All in all, not too bad.  If you consider the horse's body
> weight, you can estimate the percetn lost.
> ex 1000lb X 6% = 60 lbs

Okay.  Not bad, huh?  Just heard of other horses that lost lots less.

> Did your horse eat on the ride?  You may be able to make up some of the
> losses with soupy mashes at the stops.

Sounds like a plan.  Thanks.

Karen Gehringer
Ormond Beach, Fl