Re: WEC Qualities Surfacing in Competition

----------
From: Carlos Crespo <ccrespo@nigma.com>
To: Heidi <CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com>
Cc: Jerry Fruth <hikryrdg@evansville.net>; Ridecamp
<ridecamp@endurance.net>; Truman Prevatt <truman.prevatt@netsrq.com>; Carl
Meyer <carlmey@citrus.infi.net>
Subject: WEC Qualities Surfacing in Competition
Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 9:33 AM

discounting other qualities that surface in competition, Heidi states:

<<Actually, the selectors use that information A LOT, but they also
continue to
observe the horse all year to make sure he is on track with what his record
says he is.  No matter how competitive the horse, if he is on the downhill
that particular year, he shouldn't go.  If the head-to-head competition is
the
only thing that counts, the injuries sustained in achieving that spot on
the
squad don't get sorted out, and we send lame and/or metabolically messed up
horses to the WEC.  We've done that in the past, it didn't work, and that
is
why the current system has evolved.>>

Some how it seems to me that there is a lot of dichotomy in your statement
Heidi. If your statement was correct then we have to assume one
of two possible explanations  which are mutually exclusive:

 You say that one or two selection races will hurt the horses but looking
at their racing over two years  does not. This either means that....

1) over the previous two years everybody has been competing at sub-maximum
effort in order for their horses to be sound. If this is so, then the
record
is a very poor criteria to predict performance under stress and maximum
effort conditions or...

2) iIf they are racing at maximum effort over two years, racing 4-6
races a year and their horses are still sound,  then why would they
get hurt by only doing one or two races in lieu of 8-12?

I don't think you can be with God and with the Devil at the same time
Heidi.

We are fooling ourselves thinking that the current system
benefits the horse. If you go out there and try to make a record for
yourself
over a two year period, competing in high caliber  rides, and finishing
in the  top,  the wear and tear on the horse will be significantly higher
than
if you train and peak for only one or two rides in the entire year.

Can the horse get hurt? Sure it can happen. Mine was hurt by just
being put to pasture for 6 months while I recovered from knee surgery.

Are horses suffering injuries under the current system? You bet they are.
The only
difference is that those horses do not nominate because their records is
faulty and they will not be chosen, though their horse may be just fine by
the
time the big contest comes around. We fool ourselves into believing that
the current system is so safe for the horse. It is not, we are just burying
our head in the ground.

I advocate a competitive system for selection. The details of how and when
to do it is subject to discussion and evaluation. It could be one race or
2 out of three and use the average finishing times. Preferably, the
selection
process should be done with sufficient anticipation so that the team can
be selected at least 6 months before the Race so that the Chef d' Equipe
has time to maximize his input. Under this concept, every horse has an
equal
chance. No one would be discouraged from nominating because they had
one bad year, or did not compete for a year because they had a baby
or personal injury or anything  else. Furthermore, imagine the fund raising
value this concept would provide, with 200 of the best endurance riders
in the country doing their best to be selected. The money would fall
from the sky because there is excitement and drama about the whole idea.

The issue of the sound horse is for the rider to manage not the selection
team.
Obviously, if the rider does not finish he/she would not make the team. The
rider
has to weight the pros and cons of his/her decision on the trail just like
in any
other ride. What better way is there to really see what each horse/rider
team
is made off than to see first hand how the make those tough decisions?

The question of sending a lame horse should not be an issue.
Regardless of how you select the team, there will always be ranked
alternates. A system can be put in place to ascertain the selected horse
condition to Race prior to departure. If any is not sound, you go to the
alternates.

Regards,

Carlos
Florida

Give it up, Carlos!  Your consistant sniping at the selection process is
extremely
demeaning to all the great folks who volunteered their time and money to do
their
very best - and all the AERC International members who have worked very
hard over the years (also at their own time and expense) to refine each and
every step.
This is the time to support each and every rider who nominated for their
efforts and wish those who were selected the very best.  If you are not an
AERC International member, then join and attend meetings at the convention
and voice your opinions
to the appropriate committees.   Barbara Sanches, California - Pacific
South
Zone Representative