Re: WEC Qualities Surfacing in Competition

In a message dated 98-11-05 09:39:59 EST, ccrespo@nigma.com writes:

<< You say that one or two selection races will hurt the horses but looking
 at their racing over two years  does not. This either means that....

No, Carlos, I did not say WILL hurt, I said that sometimes it does.  The thing
that hurts is putting all the eggs in one basket.  The record of two years of
racing demonstrates whether or not the horse CAN hold up to racing, whereas
one big race does NOT demonstrate whether he comes off of races able to go
onto another or not.  Also, your scheme has no provision for eliminating the
winner if he is marginal afterward, thereby impairing his ability to really
race at the race that counts--the one for which he as been selected.  I'm not
talking about the horse that is three-legged lame and can be pointed to by
every dolt in camp--I'm talking about the horse with subclinical muscle
damage, with a smoldering slightly above normal CPK and SGOT that will tie up
the next time you race him.  Or the horse with an electrolyte imbalance that
really should be turned out in the pasture to recover when he gets home.
Under the present system, most of these horses don't race to capacity at all
during the last months before the "big event."  Instead, they work at peaking
for when it counts.

Heidi