Re: WEC

In a message dated 98-11-04 19:30:04 EST, carlmey@citrus.infi.net writes:

<< I have the problem of all FW'S being selected as well as the area that
 they were selected from.  >>

OK, Carl, you finally made me go back to my BC sheets from my Sunriver ride,
where both Darla and Ona rode.  Darla weighed in at 178, and Ona at 183, so
both of them would have a tough time convincing ANYONE that they are
featherweights.  Except you, of course.

I have not personally weighed the other four, but as three of them have
competed at FEI events in the past, I know that they can (and have) competed
at weights over 165, and also that the selectors are sticklers at looking at
the weights of long listers, so Wendy has likely had to compete at over 165
this year, too.  In my experience, the selectors look over our shoulders when
we weigh these people, and write their weights down in their own notes, too!

As to the area from which these ladies were selected, I apologize that we have
talent here on the West coast, and I truly feel sorry that you suffer from
such a geographical bias.  I have no qualms at all about the fact that Valerie
and Patti do not come from my area and have not run head to head with my
favorite horses--I accept their professionalism and the fact that they, too,
have been able to duplicate the conditions they will find in Dubai to the best
of their ability--conditions which, of course, according to those who have
been there and say that it compares to eastern Oregon, Nevada, and New Mexico,
are exactly like our Oregon competitors Ona and Darla and our Mojave Desert
competitors Shirley and Wendy race in on a regular basis.  You may have ideas
about how the selection process should be different, Carl, but continually
trying to alter the facts about the members of the squad does not do much to
prove whatever point it is you are trying to prove.

Heidi