Re: Satellite photos of trails

>It's occurred to me that some of you may not know of the existence of
>a database of 1 meter resolution satellite photos available on the
>Web. Useful for checking out trails in your area. It doesn't cover the
>whole planet yet, though they are adding to it.
>
>It covers my riding grounds (Poway, S. Cal) pretty well. Even at T1
>speeds it takes a fair amount of time if you are downloading 1 meter
>photos, one page gives you about 800x600 yards, get to spot your own
>trailer but not the horses. They are a few years old, so some new
>buildings may have sprouted and some trails dissappeared or made since
>they were taken.
>
>My study wall is covered in 6x6 mosaics of these things.
>
>http://terraserver.microsoft.com/
>
>==
>http://freeweb.socal.wanet.com/hlurphy/
>Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA

Found out about those several months ago and we actually incorporated the
satellite view of our ridecamp site into our Sage Hill NATRC Ride web page!
In fact, I'll be using a printout of that picture to make up a map for
parking (management parks here, vet check will be here, portapotties go
here and here, etc . . . ) during ride check-in!  Between the terraserver
photos and Topo! software to map trails and get mileages trailmaster work
is getting high tech!

-- Lynn K. (Santa Ynez, CA)
   http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky
   Sage Hill NATRC Ride:  http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/SageHill