Re: Need help with severly pair-bonded mare.....(long)

Dear Cathy,
    Equus magazine, the October 1998 issue, had an article which dealt with
this exact problem.  "Seven Solutions for Troubled Herds."  Call Equus and
have them send you a back issue (800-952-5813).

Trish Marie and pretty David, TNG
Grand Blanc, Michigan

<<
 Hi gang,
 I would appreciate feedback on a challenge I am dealing with with a 16 year
old Arab mare I have been rehabilitating for the last year.  First let me say
that she and I have had what I consider a very successful endurance season
this year, and she has put forth a wonderful effort and we've had a blast.
 The challenge:  She is severely pair bonded to a Morgan mare she grew up
with, the party I bought the Morgan from gave us the Arab as they could not
afford to keep her, and she had been abused at one home she was care-leased
out to.  With the help of a good trainer, we have been able to deal with many
issues and try to rebuild trust to humans.  She is a great mare when away from
our property, and when we had the mares boarded at separate farms, she was
very calm and willing.  Now that we have our own place this Arab goes "crazy",
almost described as "leaving her body" when the Morgan is out of sight.  Just
going in the barn to be groomed can be very dangerous as she does not seem to
be aware of anything around her and has even injured herself on one occasion
trying to locate the Morgan.  We have tried many many things to deal with
this, and feel we are at a cross-roads on what to do with her.  We cannot part
with the Morgan, so must decide whether to find a good home for her, board her
out--don't like that option--or hopefully find a solution, that's where you
all come in, we are hoping a suggestion will come through that we haven't
already tried, as she is a great trail/endurance partner, goes ANYWHERE.
Thanks much,
 Cathy. >>