Re: problem with bit(long)

Everyone else has done such a great job of covering this problem.  It just
dawned on me, where you stand has a lot to do with successful biting.  (I am
sure you do this already) Stand beside the horse, not in front of her.  Arm-
hand over her neck or pole, holding the bridle.  (If she is difficult a
straight bit works much better because you can keep it in the position you
want during the process.  Also, use a bit that tastes good in the mouth such
as copper or sweet iron.)  Use your fingers to open her mouth, do not just jam
the bit at her.  Maybe back up to just standing there like that and inserting
a carrot at that time.  Lots of repeats.  Since she is already a problem, the
carrot process may teach her to relax during the process.  Every time you work
with the mare, play around with putting your are over her neck-pole area,
teaching to stand still with head dropped straight down to the ground.  Give
her a carrot, and insert your finger in that space without teeth to get her to
open her mouth.

If she is more frightened of the bridle, just practice with the bit.  You
could attach the bit to the halter after getting her to accept it.

Good Luck, you will get through this.

Lynge Simoni