Requirements for a GOOD CREW

I don't know Potato.  I'm not sure I want to come in off the trail to see
Bill standing there, with a ribbon in his hair acting a little gay.

>>1.  Have dinner ready:

To heck with dinner.  Have the blanket ready.

>>2.  Prepare yourself:  Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be
>>refreshed when he arrives.  Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your
hair

How's about, "try not to be asleep in a lawn chair with your mouth
hanging open."

>>3.  Clear away clutter.

O.K.  If you'll pick up all the food wrappers, paper cups that
electrolytes were mixed in, and duct tape at some point it's nice.

>>4.  Prepare the children.

FIND the children.  It's nice to come in and have a chance to see that
they're still alive.  I sure don't want to leave after my hold time
knowing that they're still missing.

>>5.  Minimize the noise:   At the time of his arrival, eliminate all
>>noise of washer, dryer, or vacuum.

Quieten everyone down while the P&R person takes the pulse.

>>6.  Some DONT'S:  Don't greet him with problems or complaints.

Really!  For goodness sakes, don't tell us You're tired.

>Don't complain he's late for dinner.  Count this as minor compared with
what he might have gone through that day.

Don't point out that the ride meal was great.

>> 7.  Make him comfortable.  Have him lean back in a comfortable chair
>>or suggest he lay down in the bedroom.

How's about offering to take the horse and let him graze while I sit
back.

  Have a cool or warm drink
>ready
>>for him.  Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes.

Offer to check the horse's shoes.

 >> Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice.  Allow him to
relax and  unwind.

No, SPEAK UP!  Because I ask you a question, then I turn around and start
doing something because I forgot I asked a question, then I have to ask
again...YELL the answer at me.

>>8.  Listen to him:  You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the
>>moment of his arrival is not the time.  Let him talk first.

Pretend that when I give orders, you're not offended.  Just do it.  I
don't have time to beat around the bush.

>> 9.  Make the evening his: Never complain if he does not take you out
to dinner or to other places of entertainment; instead try to understand

Pretend you want to be here.

>>his world of strain and pressure and his need to be home and relax.

Don't mention YOUR need to be home and relax right now.

>>10. The Goal:  try to make your home a place of peace and order
>>where  your husband can relax.

Remember, the goal is to get your rider off the trail as soon as possible
so that you can get home and relax.

Angie

Angie McGhee & Kaboot
Wildwood, GA