Winter management

I don't blanket and like the other cold weather people I feed more . I kept my
horses in at night because we didn't have wind breaks or shelters in the turn-
outs. My main problem was keeping water from freezing in the barn . Outside we
used stock tank de-icers. Also most people pull the horses shoes for the
winter or have snow pads put on.  One thing that is really nice , especially
for gray horses - is they roll in the snow and clean their coats, cuts down on
winter grooming. My gray horses stayed beautiful and white as long as there
was snow on the ground .

I have now left the really cold winters behind for a more reasonable climate .

Valerie - formerly from frozen Spokane