Even more on drugs

From: Nancy
Email: nehodges@ricochet.net

You are probably weary of the "legal drug" issue, but as a non-endurance rider,
I found the position of AERC distressing.  The regulation seems unclear, unenforceable, and harmful to
the horse.
Plus, the drug rule should apply to riders as well, as ability at tailing
would give
one rider/horse team an advantage.

A drug in the broadest term is anything that is used medicinally--which would include
wormers, mega-vitamens, and medicinal herbs.  Medicinal herbs include dandelion,
alfalfa, and clover.  In addition, any drug that enhances performance is forbidden.
Wormers, supplements, electrolytes, and thrush treatments all enhance performance.
My mule is allergic to insect bites, and receives garlic (an anti-inflamatory) and herbal
insect repellent.  Given the AERC rules, these substances could be forbibben.
Even worse, a competitor would not know if a substance was illegal until after
they had paid their entrance fees and completed the race.

Without clear guidelines on what is forbidden, competitors will be inclined
not to treat their horses (and mules) for minor afflictions.  The horses
will be less comfortable with this
stoic approach.
This upsets me greatly.  I envision endurance riders not treating
minor wounds and other afflictions
because they don't want to break
the AERC rules.

Several postings indicated a high level of drugs taken by the riders in order
to complete rides.  Why is it okay for people to take these drugs but not
the horses?  The ability
of the rider is just as important as the ability of the horse.
If one person takes ibuprofen so they can tail a good portion of
the ride, while another person rides the whole time because of a similar physical
problem, isn't that an unfair advantage?
Why is it okay for a person who feels a little off to take medications,
but the horse who feels a little off
on race day has to be uncomfortable?
I can't imagine a runner being disqualified for taking a few aspirins the day of a race,
but an endurance horse can be disqualified for the equivalent.

Incidentally, alfalfa and clover are used by people as anti-cancer drugs.
Dandelions contain boron, calcium, vitamin A, lecithin, and choline and are a diuretic.
Alfalfa also contains phytoestrogens.

I do hope you endurance riders treat your horses when they
are sick or injured.  But ZERO tolerance means zero tolerance whether or
not low levels of drugs can be detected.  And unles "performance enhancing"
is more clearly defined,that could include anything (for example, calendula ointment is out but Desitin is okay?!!  How much calendula can be absorbed through the skin anyway?--and it's an immune system booster--this is bad?)

Nancy