Re: Another uveitis post

In a message dated 10/19/98 5:39:06 PM EST, Equihealth@aol.com writes:

<< Cyclosporin is the main drug used to prevent rejection of transplants in
 people.  It is EXTREMELY suppressive to the immune system.  No white blood
 cell of any type is allowed to function in its wake.  Uveitis is a chronic
 immune-mediated disease of the eye.  Maybe it would be a better choice to
 identify the source of the trauma to the immune system and try to set it
 right, rather than just suppress the whole darn thing.  >>

I may be the ODD one out here, but, when faced with the choice of try
cyclosporin or take out the eye........well, I'll suppress the immune response
in the eye. The horse I have posted about was on cyclosporin eye ointment, not
systemic cyclosporin! It would be better to figure out the source of uveitis,
but as of now, the medical community has not be able to give us any hope, real
hope when our horses are diagnosed with this. In this case alone, I say you
are living in a fanciful world.
Leigh Preddy SE