Re: Unofficial WEG team

This is a no win argument for either view. Until we have an open head on
head selection process we will not know how well it does.  But if the US
Track and Field Federation selected the US Track and Field team the same
way the US endurance team is selected, then the US would most likely
never win the Olympics track and field instead of almost always winning
it.

Back to 1992, the top decathlon athletic was Dan O'Brian.  Well old Dan
blew the Olymptic trials on the pole vault - an event he held the
decathlon record.  Dan didn't finish in the top three and guess what he
didn't make the team.  Know what - it didn't really matter.  In 96
O'Brian made it and he won.  If there were a selection process in the 96
games, Carl Lewis would have probably been running the 4x100 relay.  He
didn't make the team for the relay but there was pressure that he should
be there.  There were all the usual fallacious arguments. He has been
there and is a veteran.  He will give the young guys stability.  He will
give them the "intangables" - in a race legs win not intangables.  What
they needed was legs not intangables.  Well the coach didn't select
Lewis and the US won the silver.  If Lewis had been there, considerating
the times of the third and fourth place teams and Lewis's best time in
96, the US would have won nothing in the 4x100.

There are a lot of good horses and riders out there, give them a chance.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm