Re: AERC rules and radios

In a message dated 98-10-13 12:54:04 EDT, jlong@mti.net writes:

<< If communication between rider and crew outside of designated
 points is to be outlawed then it should be universal.  If it is the
 use of a high-tech device that is objectionable, then why not outlaw
 heart monitors?  >>

In my opinion, this is not a debate about high-tech, but a debate about the
rider making his or her own decisions.  And yes, I think a ride manager has
every right to limit crewing on the trail to designated spots--for fairness,
as well as for traffic control, etc., etc.  In most cases, crews along the
trail have been willing to help ALL riders, and managers have been generous
about allowing crewing on the trail for that reason.  Although FEI and AERC
are different entities, many times in FEI events, the question as to whether
there will be a designated crewing area in a particular spot hinges on whether
there can be help available there for EVERYONE, not just for one.

Heidi