Re: trailering problems

Suzanne Mounts wrote:

> This past weekend, I had a new problem trailering my horse.  Once I
> got through the traffic, she was quiet until I got home.Someone asked me if I
> had ever trailered her at night, and I realized I had not.

> Has anybody had any experience with horses reacting differently to being
> trailered in the dark?

Yep.  The first couple of times w/ my old mare.  Seemed as though the lights
flashing past her bothered her.

> Would it help if the light inside the trailer was
> on?

We turned on the light inside the next few times, by which point she was over
the novelty of lights.  THEN we had to learn to go under rivers via deep
tunnels where your ears pop!  Yikes!

> Any suggestions other than buying a new trailer?

You might also try putting her on the right (passenger) side so that the lights
aren't coming in directly at her like they would if she stands behind the
driver on the left.  BTW - our horses were MUCH happier when we sold the 2 H
straight load and got a nice slant load.  The rust at the bottom of your
trailer is worrisome... Is the structural integrity of the floor ok there?
Will the wood hold moisture there & increase the rate of rust?  You may want to
take a close look at that area on a regular basis.

Linda Flemmer