Re: ANTIBIOTICS AND GUT FLORA?????

I feel yogurt is VERY good for them as far as repopulating gut bacteria.
I have used it often on foals and have had two orphans this year that had
some diarrhea in spite of being dewormed and being on the correct amounts
of milk replacer. Yogurt cleaned them both up immediately. This has in
general been the first thing I try on foals if I know I have been
deworming adequately before birth and day of birth (to dams). If it
doesn't work then I pursue further, but so far, haven't had any gut
viruses, etc.
Of course the yogurt bacteria are specifically for lactose I suppose, but
it sure seems to help even when they are no longer on milk.
I usually use Dannon or Breyer's vanilla yogurt. They seem to really love
it.
Gwen Dluehosh DVM