Re: Worming

<<
 Also, Way back when Zimectrin first came out, I seem to remember some
 controversy/problems with it's use in grey horses.  Am I getting senile, (at
 36) or
 did this get worked out?  Seems like there was a problem with Zimectrin
 killing off too many worms all at once, then causing problems with colic, or
 maybe it was toxicity?  (Or maybe I am just getting senile!?)  : )

When Ivermectin first came out, it was the first and only wormer that could
kill OncaCerca (sp), skin worms. The horses sometimes had symptoms of swelling
along the midline of the stomach, sometimes hives. My understanding at the
time was:  This was caused because our horses had an abundance of skin worms
and they were all killed off so quickly, the dead worms would gravitate down
and the swelling and hives were the bodies' reaction to all the dead worms. Do
any of you remember your horses having bare, scaley, itchy midline adbomens?
Leigh Preddy SE