Re: Fw: ANTIBIOTICS AND GUT FLORA?????

Hi Sheri,

The problem you describe is pretty common, the severity depending on how
effectively the gut flora was disrupted due to the antibiotics.  You're
doing the right thing in feeding your horse probiotics to replace the
gut flora.  However, you might want to make sure that the brand of
probiotics you're using delivers more than just one or two species of
microorganisms---quite a few types of probiotics, ie Bene-Bac, deliver
almost exclusively lactobacillus species, which is fine, but doesn't
help reestablish other types of bugs, such as protozoa, saccoromyces
species or yeasts.  The Forco is delivering some of the yeasts, but you
might consider varying the type of probiotics.  I happen to like
Fastrack, and United Vet has a brand that has a good variety as well.

I would also suggest that you feed the probios on a daily basis, and if
possible, in small, frequent feedings rather than a single large bolus.
That will help reestablish a good population as well.  Make sure your
horse has a continuous supply of hay, as small amounts of feed traveling
through the cecum will also help reestablish a steady population.

One other thing is you might ask your vet is about the possibility of
gastric ulcers.  These are pretty common in horses that have been under
stress, as yours has, and the signs you describe sound like this might
be a possibility to check out.  If so, there are drugs which will reduce
the production of stomach acid until the ulcers heal.

Good luck,

Susan Garlinghouse, MS
Cal Poly University