Worming

Hello all,

The letters concerning worming, quoted briefly below ,have gotton me thinking
about something I have noticed in my own horse, that no one has been able to
explain.

>>>He explained that small strongyles will lodge in the colin and are

undetectable, except by biopsy.  Ivermectin will not take care of these. (I

have since read that Ivermectin is not good at getting these small

strongyles.)  This  5 day fenbendazole program will get 100%.  A  7 day

program of Ivermectin will supposedly get maybe 75%.

>>>The Oct issue of Horse & Rider magazine has an article on tape worms.

It is recommended to use a double dose of Strongid Paste wormer for tape

worm eradication or use the daily wormer, Strongid C.

In regards to my mare, I read an article a couple of years ago, In Equus
magazine, about the treatment of tapeworms with Strongid paste, or Strongid C.
(BTW, some articles on this subject say triple dose of paste, some double,
Comments?)
I was excited to read about the symtoms regarding tapeworms, mostly
unthriftiness, pickiness, gas,and diarhea, As my horse had all the symptoms
and I figured I found a way to correct it.  So I did a triple dose of paste,
and was amazed at the results!  She hasn't had any problem since, and I worm
her with a triple dose every 6 months as recommended. I also worm inbetween
with Zimectrin.

Here's where things get weird : My vet says we don't have tapeworms in this
area.
SW Washington State.
So my question is this; Am I killing off tapeworms, or is it really small
strongyles?  Does it matter?

Also, Way back when Zimectrin first came out, I seem to remember some
controversy/problems with it's use in grey horses.  Am I getting senile, (at
36) or
did this get worked out?  Seems like there was a problem with Zimectrin
killing off too many worms all at once, then causing problems with colic, or
maybe it was toxicity?  (Or maybe I am just getting senile!?)  : )

So, obviously, any thoughts anyone has on wormers will probably be better than
the vacuum that seems to exsist in my head now. LOL

Hope you are all out riding!!!!!

Julie and Rayna