ponying advice

Hi,

I need some advice about ponying my young horse. He is doing well at ponying
except for one problem. He is a slow slow walker and trotter. I think that
the problem is that he is really laid back. Should I stop the horse that I
am leading him from or slow his walk or somehow (how?) get the young horse
to walk faster or trot if he falls behind? Right now I end up towing him
which is not the best way of going down the trail. Clicking to him and
tapping with a whip does not help. The horses are almost the same size and
the young horse should be able to keep up as he does when ridden. I think
the problem is that he is not sure what I want when he is ponied. Help!

Stasia