Equine Rabies

Because I live in South Carolina, the importance of giving rabies shots
to horses was just brought home to me. I am thankful that every spring
my horses get a rabies vaccination. In Richland County, today's news
reported that five people have been exposed to Rabies by having contact
with a rabid horse. It is common to get our dogs and cats vaccinated
every spring. Not everyone thinks about their horses needing
vaccination. I know this may seem like NOT an endurance subject, but we
spend a lot of time camping in the woods with our horses, or near woods,
both before and after each endurance ride. Who can predict when some
little rabid "critter" may come out of the woods and bite one of our
horses?

Because I care about you and your horses, I want to give you all this
timely reminder. If you live in an area where Rabies is in the wild
animal population, or if you may trailer into such an area, a good
precaution would be to get your horses vaccinated for Rabies. They are
one line of defense between us and the disease.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Lucie Hancock, Tamar Starofdavid, Bukkura and HH Trinity (Gee,
thanks,Mom, for already protecting us.)